Performance Project

Broad cast/documentation 

I chose to join the broadcast and documentation group because I have always enjoyed documenting my work. I knew that in this group it would be down to us to document behind the scenes of what the other groups are doing as well as maybe even promoting the performance. We all started by coming up with ways we can document the process of what the other groups are doing for the performance and then shared our ideas as a group to then present as a mood board.

One of our ideas was to create an instagram so that we could upload reels (vidoes) after each day in class as well as allowing our fellow classmates to see what is going on and even potential audience.

Throughout the build up to the  performance we uploaded videos of what each group was getting up to as well as images. It started off as each of us was going to film, edit and upload a video so that we were all able to get involved but we thought about the fact that it takes a while for us to each gather footage and then edit it so we decided that we would just upload whatever footage/images we took that day so that the account was always coming up on peoples feeds so that more people would see and be interested in seeing it.

Some Images I took

I took more videos than photos as I used the videos to either make my own reel or send to another person in my group who was editing that day. I tried to capture as much as I could throughout this build up to the performance as this was one of my roles within the group. I enjoyed being able to get involved with the other groups and filming what they were getting up to and getting to chat with everyone was nice.

Sketchbook notes 

We were asked to keep a sketchbook for this project and I wasn’t sure what to put in it other than notes as my main focus was to capture what other were doing, but I was able to write and sketch out my ideas for my zine design as that was soemthing I was working towards in my group.

I created each one of my designs digitally. For the zine I wanted to look at making it more like a gossip/fashion themed magazine that I had help with from Gemma, who was in my group. As the theme of this play was quite “tacky” and colourful so when making my zine I wanted to play around with colour which isn’t something I usually feel comfortable working with. For the title I wanted to use a play on words and started by looking at popular magazine names and came across the well known cosmopolitan, which is also a drink and so I came up with the idea Mos-jito, a mixture of mosquito and mojito which I thought was quite a funny title and keeps within the theme of bugs. I went for the middle design as I thought it would work well with the colour theme of the performance and takes a lot of inspiration from magazines. I also was drawn to the “tackiness” of the cover as it fit well with  the way the costumes were meant to come across.

I also made a double and single page spread for the zine with help from Gemma, she illustrated the whats in my bag page as well as writing the interview. I worked on the layout, background, and illustrated the bag. I continued to play with colour as well as texture whilst working with the theme of the zine. For the top page I made the background out of tape and scanned it in on the printer and then added the interview text over the top. I am pleased with how both pages came out and feel as though it fit the theme well. I also had a few pages created for me by Percy so would add those to my zine.

Pinterest Board 

As our group is documenting the performance we decided that someone would be making posters or all of us but found out that everyone had to make one anyways but before this we had created a group pinterest board to share ideas and inspiration we find for our own posters and other ways we can document in our group.

Instagram 

Poster

We all had to make a poster for this project for the performance. I made my poster based on advertising the performance including  the title of the performance, where it is and what time. I made this digitally but used paper textures to make is look as though it was made digitally. I have enjoyed playing around with texture and colour during this project so wanted to continue with that theme in my poster. I illustrated the caterpillar on pro create and is something very different to how I usually draw but I enjoyed drawing and putting it together and being able to try new techniques and styles.