Marta Petitta – research in the archive of the International Council of Societies of Industrial Design

28 October 2022 – 14:00-16:00 BST

In-person only. Seaside 1, 3rd Floor, Mithras House, Lewes Road, Brighton, UK.

Marta Petitta is a visiting postgraduate student from Politechnico di Torino, hosted by Ben Sweeting and Tilo Amhoff at the Radical Methodologies Research Group and the Centre for Secure, Intelligent, and Usable Systems. Marta is conducting archival research at the University of Brighton Design Archives,  and will present work in progress in a joint session with Cecilia Tosi.

About Marta

I’m Marta Petitta, a systemic designer student from Politecnico of Turin. My origins are in Italy, I was born in Rome and I have lived there almost all my life. For my bachelors degree I graduated in Industrial Design at Sapienza University of Rome. I really believe that helping others is deeply linked with the Designer Profession, that can really make a difference in spotting true human needs in such a complex world like the one we live in nowadays. This is what I want to do, this is why I want to dedicate my life to this.

Abstract

My final MA Thesis research is aimed to stress the link between design organizations and global governance for what concerns sustainable development. By analysing the main conferences of the past — especially the ones held by the International Council of Societies of Industrial Design (ICSID) Association — and by observing what is going on today on National and global level, I’d like to trace a path for the hypothetical future of design collaboration in the political field. Can design and politics communicate? How? Can design change the actual global situation for the better? And also, which are the past and present responsibilities that Design has to address to itself?