Musculoskeletal Management – cervico-thoracic and upper limb
This module is for students who would normally hold a degree in Physiotherapy or equivalent. Degree level knowledge and understanding of anatomy, biomechanics, physiology, pathology and clinical syndromes of the Musculoskeletal system are essential to the undertaking of this module. Students are also usually expected to have substantial clinical experience in the MSK field.
HE720 (A and B)
This module considers the holistic management of people experiencing pain in the cervico-thoracic region and upper limb. In this module students will consider the experience of people suffering from pain and dysfunction, and develop strategies to effectively examine, assess, treat and manage such individuals. Students will evaluate the theoretical concepts with specialist practical skills used in musculoskeletal physiotherapy. This module sits alongside the Musculoskeletal Management – Lumbo-sacral and lower limb module in order to prepare the student for the clinical placement modules.
Applicants at level 7 would normally possess a bachelor degree or equivalent in a relevant subject.
For the ‘a’ iteration of this module (where this module is taken before HE718):
- The assessment will consist of a 3000 word written assignment (e.g. an essay or a blog) focussed on critical evaluation of musculoskeletal physiotherapy using research evidence, theory and clinical reasoning underpinning musculoskeletal physiotherapy
For the ‘b’ iteration of this module (where this module is taken after HE718):
- The assessment will consist of a 45 minute practical examination. The practical examination will occur 2-5 weeks after the completion of the module.
2023-24 Semester 2 Eastbourne Campus, (Dates subject to change)
- April 8, 12, 18, 29 (via Microsoft Teams)
- May 3 (via Microsoft Teams)
- June 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 (Face to face on Campus in Eastbourne)
Assignment submission date – TBC
If you are choosing this module as part of a postgraduate or community course, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for specific information on the fee for this module
If you are taking this as a single module, the module fee is:
Please contact SHS-CPE-Admissions@brighton.ac.uk for further information about the module
This module is a core module for MSc Musculoskeletal Physiotherapy. It may also be taken as an option for other programmes, or as a single module, provided the pre-requisites as met.