During tutorials, you can direct students to appropriate course-based and institutional resources to help them with different aspects of studying (links to the latter at the main Helping Students to Learn page) .
However, there are some aspects of studying where personal academic tutors can play a particularly important role directly, such as helping students to get organised, manage their time effectively, and understand and use feedback on assignments to develop their skills. Of course there is plenty of advice already available on these topics, but many students find it hard to act on written advice without some tutorial encouragement.
On this page we will be adding some editable documents to help students work through these issues with you. In an online tutorial on Teams, you could upload any of these to the Files section of your Chat area, and then edit collaboratively while you talk. (See Using Teams Chat for Tutorials for how to do this)
Be selective and don’t try to introduce these resources all at once. There is a certain amount of overlap between them so students can choose the ones which work for them.
- Getting organised
- Getting organised planner
- Effective Notetaking
- Time Management
- Goals and action planning
- Study Planner (based on a summer school booklet)
- Sample Tutorial-Record-Form
This is an editable version of the example shown in the Guide for Personal Academic Tutors, designed to help students prepare for tutorials and record agreed action points – before using this, check whether your School has its own forms and procedures
- Using feedback
- How to Use Feedback Effectively: A guide for students A short (16 page) practical guide written with undergraduate students. Some of the suggested activities would be useful during tutorials and you could also use the planner below
- Feedback Action Planner (best used in conjunction with the guide for students above)
- Revision & exams
The Information Services website also has videos and users guides on how to use Mind Genius to assist with revision.