Overcrowded Snaps – Brighton, UK

THOUGHTS

• Although the images aren’t all of clothes they for me all relate to the idea of consumerism, there are so many options available to choose from.

• There were not tags on the material that stated where they come from which provides evidence and support for the notion that businesses need to be more transparant so that we as consumers know what it is we are buying and can take responsibility for this.

• It is positive to see businesses like the vegetarian shoe shop although this doesn’t necessarily mean it is sustainable.

• There were a ridiculous amount if glass ornaments on display here at a second hand shop which means that a lot of people are buying and then recycling things they don’t want which although could be described as a positive because people are clearly making the effort.

• The image of the books represents this idea of timlessness for me, I love the raw edges and the way they looked used and as if they have had a life before ending up in this shop.

• These hats were on a stall in the laines in Brighton. I loved that they were positioned on mop head.

• Seeing these suitcases pilled up here reminded me of consumption as there were so many that they had to stack them up.

• The boxes and boxes of postcards evident here could be a source for me to use in the event potentially. I could purchase them all and make something for each person to take home, incorporating recylcing into my outcome.

• The bags were stuffed to the point where the shopping experience wasn’t as enjoyable. The charity shop have so many bags that they don’t have enough room for the in storage.