A painting by Jim McElvancy ‘White Teeth’

FullSizeRender.jpg

AD139 Week 1 Critique

First impressions. Guesses. What I see, not what I like or dislike. Suspend judgement. Describe, analyse, and interpret.

1. What stands out most when you first see it?
    The colourful nature of the face and how the lines across the face, represent the eyes
  1. Explain the reason you notice what you mention in Q1.
    I notice the facial area initially because it is not what you expect. I find it fascinating that the image still possesses facial features/ a personality even though there hasn’t been any realistic features put in.
  1. As you keep looking, what else seems important?
    I think the direction that the figure is looking is important; it suggests that they are looking into the future? Suggesting a hardship or longing.
  1. Why does the element you mention in Q3 seem important?
    It is telling a story, conveying a deeper meaning to a few splashes of paint.
  1. How has contrast/structure/space/colour been used?
    The background colour and structure of the piece is used to emphasis the figure in the center of the painting. The colour is used to add emotion and draw you in and the
  1. What leads your eye around from place to place?
    The speckles of dots, it looks like paint has been splashed across the page to create a faded world around the figure.
  1. What tells you about the artist that created this?
    I think the artist is someone that enjoys deliberate mess. The combination of detail and precision against the mix/ blending of colours portrays someone in thought that is clear of their intentions.

1. What seems to be hiding in the composition?
    The identity, the gender and the world the figure lives in, is missing.

1. Why do you think this is hidden?
    I think this is deliberately misplaced making you consider your own story for the person.

1. Imagine the feelings and meanings this work represents – what are they?
    Lust, longing, distance, empty space, feeling alone, looking out to the future.
  1. What other titles could be given to this work?
    Hidden eyes, statue of pride, Unknown voice, Future glance

1. What other things interest you about this work?
    The patterns and textures used.

1. What do you think the artist was trying to convey in the work – to moralise, elevate the spirit, instruct?
    To create imagination, to inspire and portray that there is more to a person that their face.
  2. Suggest up to 10 key words that relate to the meaning of this work.
    Longing, thought, space, splash, explode, detail, precision, blood, lust, disappearing.
  3. Create a narrative in up to 100 words from this work that would convey this work to others.
    Subject A is a person of drive and of longing for a different life. They are looking into the future, hoping for something different to arrive, they determined to escape their current life and become something more. They made have had heart break or sadness in their life but it is slowly escaping them, allowing them to express themselves and move on.