Is Topshop missing personalisation in their email marketing?

Guess Who’s back… It’s time to party! was the marketing email I receieved at 10.43 this morning from Topshop. Now, with Topshop being a clothing brand, you would assume this email is about all the latest fashion trends and ‘just in’ clothing ranges. You are partly right. However, it seems the key point of this marketing email was to welcome back Cara Delevigne, one of Topshop’s  most iconic models. Let’s analyse this a little further…

10.43am – this is the time the Topshop’s marketing email was sent, and correctly so. By sending the email at this time, it is capturing the receivers during UK (GMT) working hours, this increasing the chances of the email being opened (Ellis-Chadwick, F., & Doherty, N. F. (2012).

Moving on to the subject line – although the idea is to entice the reader to find out ‘who’ is back, this only going to appeal to selected people who have a strong interest in the brand and therefore follow the topshop news and blogging and would be ‘in the know’ with Topshops models. For me, this was not in my interest and I wouldn’t usually open the email, but did for this class as it was my most recent marketing email. Ellis-Chadwick, F., & Doherty, N. F. (2012) state that “people won’t read any further unless the subject line brings them into the rest of the e-mail” therefore, Topshop may have gained a higher click through rate if they had promoted a sale, or several different lines of clothing, instead of one “party” theme.

Personalisation and call to action…

email

Looking at the screenshot above it is clear there is no personalisation -“Hi Natasha”, although this isn’t a compulsory element to email marketing, it does help entice the reader to click on the email as they feel it has been tailored to their needs.

At this point it is good to note that there is a call to action button – “Shop Party” and the landing page also goes to the party clothing section which is good as it is not misleading and therefore should decrease the bounce rate.

In conclusion, I believe the Topshop marketing email is enticing to a certain degree, however they could increase their click through rate and reduce their bounce rate if they personalised their emails and also made it less targeted.

Ellis-Chadwick, F., & Doherty, N. F. (2012). Web advertising: The role of e-mail marketing. Journal of Business Research, 65(6), 843-848