Slack

I’ve been slack with my blog. I feel bad about it. I love blogging and want to write frequently, but sometimes it’s just tough. I guess the things that are on my mind are things I don’t feel like sharing right now. And I’ve been keeping to myself for so long that I can’t quite remember what I last shared. But here are some things that are happening.

I am currently a coordinator in the Learning and Teaching Enhancement Unit at Canterbury. I am working in a small team on a student engagement project (the pre-arrival project – our website pages aren’t available yet). I’ve been in the department for four weeks and I feel very lucky to be surrounded by supportive and friendly people. I particularly enjoy working in the same office space as the wellbeing team.

I’ve been playing Pokémon Go for two weeks (maybe less; I’ve lost track of time). I am enjoying chasing Pokémon. I was obsessed with Pokémon Yellow back in 2000 and really got into researching the types. It’s fun and super-relaxing. I’ve made friends with other Pokémon trainers. I am disappointed that the GPS signal is so bad in Canterbury as there are loads of Pokéstops around me.

I started watching Girlboss. I like it. I remember the Myspace scene queen era and followed it with interest. It was a fascinating time, for me, because I found the peer influencers really engaging (not personally, just the idea of them). I guess it was when social media started making other people feel closer than they actually were. Nasty Gal really rode that wave. In such a social media-saturated world it feels weird to reminisce about a time when the idea of brand influencers were slightly new and a little bit more exciting than they are now. Sorry, not sorry. *Of course I appreciate brand influencers have been around in some way of another for ages.

I deferred on my Masters. I had applied, and been offered a place on, MA Creative Writing. But my interests are more focussed on reflective writing and pratice-based research. I was talking with a colleague about MRes and they suggested I speak to my department about the MRes in English Literature, which I hadn’t considered previously as my practice feels like it would sit better in an art department. However, a week later I had met another colleague who spoke to their programme director about my research aims and it may be possible that my research could be accommodated next academic year.

I went for six weeks without having any of my writing published. It felt more exhausting than sad, but I guess I was sad in my own way.

I’ve started using an exercise bicycle at work before I start my shift. During that time I repeat affirmations and attempt to think about ways to problem-solve issues that arise in my life. It has become a time for peace – though late last week was a little dispiriting as I started reading The Meek One as I was cycling.

I am starting to explore Canterbury City, and taking great joy from it. It does not hold the charm of the North Laine but I figure I just need to find my place.