August 29

An interview that turned out well

Interview collage

This post is part of EdublogsClub. This week’s prompt is interviews.

Interviews are not my strong point, as you may remember. Though I often keep my friends Sarah and Melissa entertained with stories of my interview faux pas. A favourite anecdote is my interview at Arts University Bournemouth where I laughed so hard at my own joke that I spat on the desk in front of me, and the spit landed two feet away from a member of the interview panel.

My sister and her family visited over this bank holiday weekend. During that time, I received an email from the Department for Work and Pensions. I applied for Universal Credit last week and I had to visit the Job Centre to complete the first part of my claim. I was nervous because my last experience with Jobseeker’s Allowance started uncomfortably. However, I went through the checks and interviews well enough. When I spoke to my job coach I mentioned wanting to get some public sector work experience and it turned out they had something happening in their office. So I start that next month. It’s a short-term scheme but I’m hoping it will get me some experience for the careers advisor roles I applied for.

This may sound like a success story, and I guess it is. But this is the exception to the rule. I rarely do this well in interviews. In fact, I’ve had a couple of experiences like this – the only times I do well is when I unintentionally interview. I am good at seizing opportunities when I don’t expect them! I got my previous two jobs randomly – in one, I was invited in for an informal chat when I failed to get three other jobs that were being advertised in my office and in the other, I was speaking to a colleague and she just offered me a role on the spot.

So, I don’t really know what to write in this blog post about interviews. To me they are curious creatures, each one unique and I don’t think I’ll ever get the knack.

Posted August 29, 2017 by N¡na in category EduBlogsClub

About the Author

An alumna #brightonforever

2 thoughts on “An interview that turned out well

1. Kathleen Morris

Hi Nina,

Congrats! I would call that a success story. I hope the work experience is valuable.

You’re right about interviews. They’re not for everyone. Although, I guess like a lot of things you can get better with practice. I agree that the pressure surrounding interviews is the hardest part. Much better if it can be an ‘informal chat’.

Thanks for your continued enthusiasm with the EdublogsClub!

Kathleen

Reply