March 17

Onwards

I had gone a bit quiet for a couple of weeks. The only things happening in my life were upsetting and/or boring so I didn’t feel ready to share. But I did miss blogging.

This week has thrown up three exciting things. Three things that have got my brain moving. And, yes, I needed that. I always forget how restless I become when I’m not overworked and stressed.

More work. Due to a bi-annual data upload, I have a few days more work this month. I am so happy, so grateful and so relieved.

MRes. I went to an MRes open day. Like most things in academia, I didn’t feel like research was something I could do. But I found out about MRes Arts and Culture and was heartened to see that it is structured to academically prepare students for PhD research. I had so little knowledge about postgraduate education before this year – and I am still learning so much. I thought about pursuing education but I didn’t think I’d ever get past graduate level (even with luck, and on a good day).

The older I get, the more I realise that education doesn’t have a set pathway. I never thought I would be considering an MRes, just because I never thought I could do a PhD in an art-related subject without a solid academic background.

I am trying not to get swept up with my emotions. The open day was really exciting. It was pretty much what I expected university to feel like – a free reign to explore my interests with the support of two academics. I’m sure there’s more to it than that. I know nothing turns out the way you imagine. So, I’ve had to take a step back and think hard. Right now, I need to think about other pressing day-to-day things. But I’ve filed this experience away for another day.

Counselling. I also went to a counselling interview this week. Art therapy is a subject that comes up a lot as my interests are art and wellbeing. In my art practice, reflection is often something that happens. So I thought improving my listening/helping skills would be a good idea. I enjoyed the interview very much and I think the course would also benefit my mental health in addition to being another skill I can use in my art practice and work. I’ll make time to enrol later in the month (I’m taking a couple of weeks to think about it).

Posted March 17, 2017 by N¡na in category Uncategorized

About the Author

An alumna #brightonforever