Designing a Tile using Fusion 360

I have attempted to make my own tile design using fusion 360.

for my design, I wanted to recreate a kind of parquet flooring style. As you will see, I have created something of that effect, however I haven’t been able to produce a design that tiles in the same fashion to that of parquet flooring.

I began by creating two rectangle shapes that would act as my repeating design.

Using the move tool, I then rotated these two rectangles so that I could begin my repeating design.

Following this, I then used the rectangular pattern tool to multiply the design. I needed to multiply the pattern enough times to fill the 100x100mm tile size requirement from the breif.

Once I had my repeating pattern, I then used the recangle tool to create the 100x100mm square shape to act as a template for where I needed my design to work within.

After setting these parameters, I then used the trim tool to remove any sections of the design that went over those boundaries.

at this point, I was left with my tile design that was constrained to the dimentions mentioned in the breif. In order to start giving this design more texture, I chose to excrude the design and layer the different sections at different heights.

At this point, I was happy with the different levels I had created, I decided to add some colour to the design by using the appearance tool. I then considered my design to be finished.

I am pleased with the design of my tile, however I feel that I could do some mathmatical work into making the final product repeat in a fluent pattern. I also need to do work to understand how to retain the entire design once it has been excruded. You can see that some of the elements have combined once I excruded the design.

Read 1 comment