Mental Health Nursing Special Interest Group

Recovery and context

Priory (CV-19 Quilt Patch)

[By Sharon de Goeas for The Covid Quilt project ]

Photo of Lewes prioryWhen the country went into lockdown on March 23rd, I had the idea that I would take a walk twice a day into the town. It was later announced that people could only take one hour of exercise once per day. In the first week of lockdown, I ventured into the town, but each approaching person appeared on the horizon like a human Covid-19 bomb. I pretty much walked straight into the road without looking. I decided that it was more likely that I would die from being run over by a car or bike than die from Covid-19. I began to explore the town to find somewhere devoid of humans! In week three I found my sanctuary. The old Priory Ruins and Convent field, which lie at the South East of the town. At 06:30 – 07:30, the field is remarkably empty; a few bunnies, some dog walkers, rooks and plenty of space for me to complete my circuits. I have now done this walk – from my house, circuits and back home every weekday since April. I have had a few days off when my knee had an argument with a Kissing Gate on the South Downs. Downs 1 : Sharon 0.

What I quickly realised was that the quiet of the field and the regularity of the walk gave me an hour’s reflective time in the morning. I recalled Kant’s regular walk and the Philosopher’s walk in Kyoto. I am by no means trying to compare myself to Kant or the Japanese philosophers, but I do, now understand the purpose of such walks. It helped me to clear my mind, reflect on the day before and the day to come, and really think.

Within a few short weeks I had reconceived ‘lockdown’, I began to refer to this time as my enforced retreat. Covid-19 has been good for my physical as well as mental wellbeing. I hope that when the world returns to the new normal, I will continue with my Priory walk.

I know that the pandemic has been hard for many, the deaths, the disability, the mental health and emotional distress, the economic pain, and the PTSD yet to come. People in general have risen to the challenge and while the minority has shown the selfish side of human nature. But on the whole, I have an optimistic belief that we will come out of this more thoughtful and considerate.

So, to the patch. I decided quite early on that my patch had to be the Priory. It stands out majestically against the clouds and grass. As soon as I see the Ruins, I can feel a sense of calm. I took some photos with the hope of copying onto fabric. This did not go well, my copying skills and sewing are both atrocious, it resembled the Cecilia Jimenez restoration of the mural of Jesus. The use of cut out felt pieces was even worse, it reminded me of art work that I had brought home as a child and my parents had congratulated me for my ‘interesting’ work with a sparkle in their eyes and a little smile hovering around their lips. I went for a 21st century fix. Photograph taken, photoshopped and transferred on to fabric using an inkjet printer. The material I used was some left-over fabric from some dining chairs I had recovered.

COVID-19

Pauline Ridley • July 17, 2020