Maths

My placement at British Airways

Molly Billyeald
BSc (Hons) Mathematics

“I have learned and built on so many skills during my time here, like forecasting, spreadsheet modelling, problem structuring, and text analytics, to name just a few. A few of the main softwares we use are Excel, SAS, and Tableau.

Tableau is an example of software that I wouldn’t otherwise have had the chance to use, as it’s fairly new, and will only become more widely used by businesses, so I already have a head start on this! I have worked on a variety of projects, all very different, and all giving the opportunity to use different skills.

I have also been able to take part in some fun things outside of work as well, like volunteering for the Red Nose Day Telethon, Tough Mudder, and volunteering to help maintain the Willow Tree Centre, an outdoor centre used by youth groups like Scouts and Guides, all thanks to my placement. Not only will this placement give me a head start after I graduate, but it has also helped me build on hard and soft skills I don’t always have the opportunity of practicing at university. I’ve really enjoyed my time at BA, and they offer a graduate scheme as well, so I’m hoping to come back after I’ve graduated too!”

Stephanie Thomson • October 19, 2017