LONDON DAY TRIP – FEMINIST AVANT GARDE & THE VULGAR

FEMINIST AVANT GARDE EXHIBITION @ PHOTOGRAPHERS GALLERY, LONDON

– I absolutely loved this exhibition, with every piece of work inspiring me and relating to a lot of my previous work. It showcased images from the 20th century, up until modern day – subtly highlighting the change or possible improvement (however you can personally take it), of the topic throughout the past years. Coming away with new artists that do seem to focus on personal issues that all women and teens my age face, and also leaving with iconic and famous pieces from artist’s such as Francessca Woodman and Cindy Sherman; Major influences in the photography industry. I felt really drawn to an artist called Renate Bertlmann, whom puts across a stereotypical world that is placed upon women in the 80s/90’s. This stands for typically a house wife – overall objectifying woman to be a carrier and a cleaner.

img-renate-bertlmann_151218600295_jpg_x_325x433_c

THE VULGAR, @ BARBICAN

– This exhibition focused on literal designs and clothing pieces from major designers throughout the past centuries. Ranging between Jean Paul, Alexander McQueen and Moschino, all the items were so influential and just amazing to see. Being able to physically examine the clothing that inspired me, meant my mind was constantly flowing with new ideas and themes for my final piece.