Lauren McArthur

Interim presentation and exhibition

THE OBSERVER

Scopophilia (Peeping Tom) – Hidden in the darkness, he watches a lone women. Two sets of six images both with voyeuristic views of murder, inspired by early slasher films. The first set being the premeditated leading to the murder. The second set showing the aftermath with blood spatter patterns revealing the violent crimes.

After delving into horror films and Cindy Sherman’s untitled film stills, I created these two sets of images. Creating a loose narrative of a women being stalked by a voyeur (the camera) eventually being attacked. At the time I started creating this work there was a spike in violence towards women in the UK. Going to a few protests for women in my area who had been killed by men. I was feeling a lot of intense feelings. In Horror films men are often seen as hero’s or monsters. women are hypersexualised damsels in distress that are often punished by the male attacker for preforming sexual acts.

We determined that these two images were the most successful showing both tension and fear. The use of the spotlight elevated the image and creates a more cinematic look.

I agree that landscape would be more effective in terms of relating to cinema, moving forward I will consider everything that was successful moving forward. I want to use these pieces as a start to my next piece I’m unsure of what will become of this work but I am excited to start the process. I want to keep the theme of horror and women but unsure in how to progress further along. I will continue to look into old horror films but with more of a purpose into what I’m looking at.

Lauren Mcarthur • May 16, 2022