Lauren McArthur

Insect Etchings

Felling like I’ve neglected a huge size of the Booth museums collection, the insects. Being one of the largest entomological collections outside of the national collection. Including butterflies from around the world. There are also several hundred thousand specimens of British butterflies, moths, beetles, bees, wasps and other insects and arthropods. In addition to pinned specimens the museum also houses a large number of microscope slides and spirit preserved arthropod specimens.  Which led to me to making some carvings of some of the insects in the collection.

Feeling very Intune with the idea of the process and wanting to create physical work. I wanted to do some printmaking. after seeing a video of how to do at home etching using cardboard. I created some sketches of insects in from the collection.

Making 8 Tiles that I then printed using oil based ink and rollers. Creating a series of black prints, printing around 3 of each print to try and get a range of prints of different gradients.

Lauren Mcarthur • April 18, 2021