FASHION FILM THOUGHTS

So today I had a bit of brainwave about my fashion film and its got me really excited to really get going on the process. When I was thinking about using confusion within my work, it gave me a bit of inspiration in terms of visual references that I could picture.

One visual technique I was thinking about is translating this confusion into a visual distortion through cinematography. I was particularly imagining using super wide lenses from either 8mm-15mm to create a warped effect. I think this really personifies the way I feel about my cultural identity. I am a perfectionist and I have been trying, within this project, to secure the way I feel about my cultural identity before beginning the project, but this idea of using these warping lenses really portrays the way I want everything to be decided and perfect, yet all the lines are warped and not quite straight.

I also, from researching Shona Heath, have been really inspired with the idea of surrealist set design. In my work I really like creating a new world that almost only exists within itself, and that I feel, is what Shona Heath does. Looking at her work really has re-motivated me to look at this, especially now that I’m feeling more secure about accepting this lack of completeness of my cultural identity and using surrealist set design is something that I can use as a tool to depict this.

I also thought about the idea of self portraiture to depict the way I am feeling about my cultural identity journey. So I am really excited to give this a go to and see how it could possibly be a piece of work in itself, or inspire some visual ideas to help me get closer to finalising what I want my film to be.