Conversations on Cultural Identity with Julia Jalyschko Post Shoot Reflection

Wow again! What a great shoot!

I really feel as though the shoot went so well and that I captured the conversation and story that I wanted. Again there was so much footage and I am slightly nervous about how to tackle the edit as there were again, about three main topics of conversation that we covered and I think it will be hard to piece these together to create a concise story.

Social distancing didn’t prove as much of an issue as I had thought and I really don’t feel as though me wearing a mask hindered our conversation. The only thing that I did find tricky was due to social distancing, I wasn’t really able to get the close shots that I was with Ruby, and I think this could change the mood of my edit and therefore film. But I do think that this issue really does reflect the times we’re in and perhaps can play into the outcome of the film.

Something that I’m not wild about with this shoot also is the location. I feel as though it is quite busy, unlike Ruby’s which I think has worked best so far in terms of location. I’m not mad at it, but I do think that a plainer background helps the tone of the film more. However, the location does play into the idea of comfortability, with it being set in a home environment.

I am going to edit this film now, as opposed to finish Max’s first, as I really want to begin editing it quickly whilst the conversation is fresh in my mind. I think this will really help the editing process.

I was so glad to have done this shoot indoors as the sound quality is so much better than Max’s and it was definitely worth wearing a mask for!