Harley Weir

Harley Weir is a British photographer who uses documentary style images, similar to Chris Jordan to create vivid and fascinating pieces. As a photographer, Weir has been looking at plastic since 2015 where she created a series named ‘Rubbish_1’ documenting all the waste she found using her phone. She explains in an article by i-D that the process of documenting the waste allowed her to consider her own involvement with the contribution to the over consumption of commodities and plastic. 

The images that Weir posted onto her instagram were over exposed, close ups of the rubbish which highlighted the bright, obnoxious colouring and texture. I looked at her work alongside the poet Wilson Oryemas to create a show ‘Rubbish 1’, where Harley Weir showcased her new work under the name Rubbish 1.2 accompanied by Oryemas poetry that assist Weirs imagery to project an immediacy to the control of our over consumption. Being interviewed by Dazed, Weird describes her photography as “representing her means to curiously learn about her surrounding and understand the world.” Weir used this collaboration to grip the viewer, showcasing her images that highlighted the everyday brands that were a regular in her series to create a feeling of relatability, where consumers were able to take responsibility for their over consumption. 

Similar to Jordan, the photography she creates is showing her subject in its natural state which I want to reflect in my magazine through the use if my own experiences. Through the collection of my own rubbish and looking my own consumption will help me develop a honest and strong piece of work. Her work also features accents of vivid colour that supports the unpleasant subject/story that she is conveying, creating a more light-hearted collection of images, in contrast to Chris Jordan’s series.