Make Up & Me

Make up for me is much more than just a daily routine. It’s an aesthetic and a means to express myself.

I have always liked make up, I used it from a fairly young age. I am not ashamed to say I was one of the many girls who applied maybe one to many layers of Maybellines ‘dream matte mousse’ foundation 3 shades too dark all over my face, bright pink blusher and thick clumpy mascara, as part of my daily make up routine (girls are you with me?). It makes me cringe at the thought now, I dread to think what I must have looked like, but I guess every girl has been through that stage, right?

Although my love for make up started around 4 years ago, I was in my last year of school and my prom was fast approaching. Every girl envisions what their prom day will be like for them, every fine detail; from the dress, the hair, the shoes and of course the make up! I remember searching aimlessly on Instagram and Tumblr for inspirations for prom appropriate make up looks, it was then that I discovered the millions of Make-Up tutorials on YouTube, this is where my *obsession* stimulated. Despite my practice, looking back at my prom photos, my make up skills were
needless to say, not on point. Its pretty obvious I had no clue at this point how to perfectly contour my face, blend a smokey eye, and I most certainly did not have eyebrows ‘on fleek’. But hey we have all got to start somewhere.

I made a list of make up I wanted for my 16th birthday, recommended by beauty bloggers I had endlessly researched. I had previously only used drugstore products, but as prom was an occasion and it was my birthday I opted to try out high-end brands to see the difference it would make for my skin and make up in general. Since then my collection has grown massively, with brands like M-A-C, Benefit, Anastasia Beverly Hills, Too Faced, Urban Decay, which I treasure as my prized possessions, although it’s no surprise that my bank balance has taken a battering!!

With my moderately excessive make up collection and hours spent watching beauty bloggers on YouTube, I taught myself certain skills acquired to do my make up better, and although I would never claim to be a make up artist, I have gained a confidence and enjoyment from doing it.

Caitlin x