psychology field trip

New Brain, Body & Cognition module field trip to Gordon Museum of Pathology

As part of this exciting new module, Psychology lecturer Dr Sara Balouch took students on a first-of-its-kind field trip to King’s College London.

The new semester-long module encompasses both biological psychology and cognitive psychology, core psychology subjects according to the British Psychological Society. Students had the opportunity to attend the Gordon Museum of Pathology, King’s College London to see brain specimens up close and personal, and to learn about how pathology can affect brain functions, including behaviour, cognitive processes and emotions.

Overall, it was a really unique and interesting experience that I am grateful I was able to attend, especially considering the museum is not open to the public.

The Gordon Museum is the largest medical museum in the UK and contains some rare and unique artefacts. It has a growing collection of approximately 8,000 pathological specimens. The oldest specimen dates from c1608 and the most recent specimen was added in 2023. There are around 360 specimens related to the brain and the rest of the nervous system, within the main collection and other special collections, including Forensics, HIV-AIDs and Pituitary sections. The museum is not open to the public, only the ‘medical public’ and other legitimate visitors by special appointment.

Amazing learning experience

During the field trip, students were required to carry out a group activity to consolidate their learning. They had to find a case-study they were interested in and create a blog (video/audio/written) on it.

I learnt a lot about the brain and other parts of the body. I thoroughly enjoyed my visit.

They needed to identify the affected areas, discuss the impact on the person, and outline current medical treatment for the pathology. Students were both amazed and sometimes shocked by what they saw in the museum. Overall, it was a positive and unique experience, where students got to relate what they had learned in lectures to real life brains.

It was a positive atmosphere. I felt looked after as I was constantly reassured if I was ok

Find out about studying Psychology at the University of Brighton.