Graduates 2023: Nhung Hoffman: Fashion and Dress History

“There is a sense of vintage fashion throughout Brighton and its culture which was of interest to me.”

Please tell us a bit about your work and your influences

My dissertation was created from my interests in historical fashion and sewing. During my second year of university, I had a module “Reconstruct Recreate, and Remake” which further brought to my attention to individuals who recreated historical dress. My work explores how social media creators use their accounts to display their recreated historical dress. I look at three American creators Bernadette Banner, Angela Clayton and Cheyney McKnight (from Not Your Mommas History). I explore how their aims, content style and if they are able to create a community through their Social Media accounts.

How have you found your course and what made you choose it?

I chose to study Fashion and Dress History because of my individual interests in fashion and history. I have interests in 19th and early 20th century fashion which was explored through my course. In addition to this, I have learnt and become more appreciative of art history and culture.

Did you go on a placement or ? If so could you tell us about it – what were your takeaways?

I went on placement at Zenzi Tinker’s Conservation Studio. I found it very interesting to be in an environment that I had previously been unfamiliar with as I hadn’t previously thought about working as a conservationist and all the detailed work that goes with it.

Was the location of your course in Brighton more important than you thought it would be?

Being able to live in Brighton was important to see the individual styles that there are throughout history. There is a sense of vintage fashion throughout Brighton and its culture which was of interest to me.

What are your plans after graduation?

I am planning on doing a masters degree in either Archive and Records Management or Museum Cultures with Curating in the hopes of one day working in a museum.

If you could give your 16 year old self any advice about going to University what would it be?

I would give my 16 year old self to keep an open mind about what university is going to be like. There is no end to the learning of new information and passions whilst at university and you might find a passion for something that you would never have thought about previously.

Contact : nhunghoffman52@gmail.com

Linkedin is: www.linkedin.com/in/nhung-hoffman-525333195

Find out more about Fashion and Design History

Watch out for news about the Graduate Summer Show

Follow the Brighton Summer Shows on Instagram

Published by