student ousainou

“My first-year history tutor Becca was remarkable. Her seminar sessions were great and full of fun”

Hear what else Ousainou has to say about studying for a philosophy, politics, ethics degree at the University of Brighton.
“From the introduction to relevant concepts and theories to more in-depth analysis, each lesson feels like a continuation. The first year introduced us to history, politics, and philosophy with a wide
range of topics from democracy, cultural studies, world history, globalisation and philosophical
inquiries.

“The second year gave us more intriguing courses like critical theory and thinking, an in-depth look at history and the age of European dominance, and politics of critique, with much more option paths to choose from. My lectures are interactive and there are different learning tools and support, and lots of resources online to help catch up on missing classes and reading lists.

The second year gave us intriguing courses like critical theory and thinking, an in-depth look at history and the age of European dominance, and politics of critique

“Staff are available when I need support. My first-year history tutor Becca was remarkable. Her seminar sessions were great and full of fun. The student centre provides excellent services to students and advisory staff are always available and ready to work with you. Lecturers will create time for you to go over coursework and essay tutorials. The overall experience is very impressive.

“Studying at Brighton has changed me for the better. My interpersonal and communication skills have improved a lot and I have a lot more confidence in dealing with matters that I would have shied away from before. I have learned to be better at organising schedules, keeping up with work related timeframes, working in a team, and sharing valuable and timely information to achieve group success. I have also learned to be independent in my thinking and critical in my judgment, to add value to resources, and to take bold initiatives in line with modern and current needs. The friendly and welcoming atmosphere makes everyone feel as if they belong and are at home. There is beauty in diversity and the university just makes it glow.

Studying at Brighton has changed me for the better. My interpersonal and communication skills have improved a lot and I have a lot more confidence in dealing with matters that I would have shied away from before.

“I can see where my career is going. I would like to think I have pretty much mapped out my career path with my current studies. I hope to continue and pursue a masters in government and corruption. My ultimate goal is to offer the radical political and governance change Africa needs. With so much corruption, and mismanagement of country resources Africa needs a new breed of political actors and to say I want to be the next Cheikh Anta Diop will be an understatement to my aspirations.

I hope to continue and pursue a masters in government and corruption. My ultimate goal is to offer the radical political and governance change Africa needs

“Before moving to the UK, I had the privilege of working with the Medical Research Council in the Gambia as a field and data collection worker. This experience put me in direct contact with local community members. I have learned from their experiences and trials. Such exposure sets in
my current desire to participate in politics through which the narratives can be changed. The course has given me new insight and knowledge to create the things I am passionate about with
diligence and pragmatism.”

Find out about studying a Humanities degree at the University of Brighton.

Published by