Humanities

News and events from the University of Brighton's Humanities programme areas

brighton streets calendar

English Language and Media graduate launches her calendar of photographs

Charlotte Lillington has been capturing the silent streets during the pandemic and has collated her images in a calendar now for sale.

Charlotte says, “My photography is aimed at nostalgic past students, local residents, tourists and mainly those who have a big love for this small city! I recently created a Premium 2021 Calendar full of my favourite images in hope of a ‘better year’, it’s an A4 wall calendar and you can find it on my etsy here.

“I’m now selling prints and mini polaroids of the city as well, they make ideal memoires and presents for fellow Brightonians or international fans of the city. The North Laine was especially eerie and you can find some  photographs representing this over on my instagram account.”

“After studying at the University of Brighton for three years, I developed my creative confidence and enjoyed finding a new environment to grow as a person. The English Language and Media degree  I studied, provided an eye-opening mixture of language studies, film analysis, television production and it definitely taught me how to write to a high standard. If I were to study again or suggest any tips to current students and new graduates it would be to never limit your creativity, jump outside the box and don’t be afraid to try out new classes or socialise with a range of different people – Brighton is the best place for this!

charlotte lillington

“The key to being a good photographer is always observing your surroundings in detail, this can sometimes be difficult if you’re on a busy schedule but taking time to slow down is important. I have learnt to use photography as a form of mindfulness and believe it’s a positive distraction from our busy brains!”

Find out about studying English Language and Media BA(Hons) at Brighton.

Charlotte Lillingtonenglish language and media

Lizzie Amati • December 1, 2020