Sport and health science courses at Brighton news

Mark in the labs

Meet Dr Mark Hayes

Dr Mark Hayes is course leader of our Sport and Exercise Science BSc(Hons) degree and a University of Brighton graduate.

Your journey into teaching

I was studying general science at Galway Regional Technical College in Ireland. I was fascinated by science but also passionate about sport and exercise and one day by chance I came across an article on the subject of sport and exercise science that was being introduced as a new degree in Ireland. When I read this, I instantly new sport and exercise science was the subject for me as it brought all my interests together in one fascinating course.

I explored options to study it and was given an offer by the University of Brighton to study it. I arrived at the Eastbourne campus in January 1995 for an interview and instantly knew from the warm and friendly reception and the beauty of Eastbourne that this was the place for me.

I had a great three years studying sport and exercise science at the Uni and knew really that I didn’t want to move away from the subject. I had learned so much from some great lecturers and in reinforced in me the desire to continue in the subject.

I wanted to share the subject with others and this led me on a journey though teaching sport and exercise science in further education, to eventually lecturing in sport and exercise science at the Uni with a PhD thrown in for good measure along the way!

How my teaching is linked to my research

My research interests centre on understanding human tolerance to environmental extremes in the areas of thermal and hypoxic stress. I use research informed teaching and my work in environmental extremes consulting with groups such as GB Hockey and England Rugby alongside individuals running events such as the Marathon de Sables provides an effective means to combine teaching and work in the field.

How my work responds to global challenges

As part of the Environmental Extremes Lab group, we work to understand the impact of environmental challenges such as heatwaves on different population groups e.g. the elderly or athletes. Some of this work related to the elderly and the impact of heat waves has been presented to groups such as Public Health England. Therefore, we are constantly examining how our changing climate can challenge human physiology and how we can help individuals mitigate the risk.

My advice to students

Study sport and exercise science not because you think a degree is a necessary thing to do but, because you love the topic. It is a broad degree, allows you to specialise as you move from year one to three and if you work hard, be proactive, communicate well, develop your professionalism and immerse yourself in the opportunities beyond what is needed for the assessment.

The sky is the limit for your sport and exercise science career.

Learn more about studying sport and exercise at the University of Brighton.

Kerry Burnett • 07/02/2023