School of Sport and Health Sciences

What it takes to be a nurse

A good nurse is assertive enough to withstand pressures and yet remains completely compassionate to their patients.

That’s the view of Rebecca Wilkinson who has been shortlisted for a Student Nursing Times Award 2018.

Rebecca Wilson

Rebecca, who graduated with a First Class BSc(Hons) degree in Adult Nursing last month (Feb, 2018), is a finalist in the Student Nurse of the Year (Adult) category.

She is one of almost 200 entrants shortlisted across 19 different categories and winners will be announced on 26 April at a ceremony at the London Hilton on Park Lane.

Rebecca, 22 and from East Grinstead, said she was “ecstatic” on being shortlisted and praised the University: “I had a variety of placements ranging from a rehabilitation centre in Worthing to acute medical and surgical wards.

“I was lucky enough to undertake a three-month exchange in Denmark in my second year, organised by the University and their partner university, VIA in Denmark. For me this was the beginning of my love for surgical nursing.”

“My ambition to do nursing grew throughout the three years of my studies, and the encouraging feedback from patients spurred me on to do my best, both practically and academically.”

Rebecca spoke of a key lesson learned: “Nursing is an important balance between being assertive enough to withstand the stresses from emotions and other work colleagues and yet remain completely compassionate towards all patients in your care, regardless of age, ethnicity or your own personal beliefs or values.”

Rebecca, who has just started work at Queen Victoria Hospital, East Grinstead, thanked her family for their support during her course and University staff including Jessica Mills, Nursing Course Leader, and Rebecca’s tutor, Senior Lecturer (Nursing Leadership and Management) Gary Barrett.

She said: “I could not have done this without their unconditional support and guidance.”

adult nursingNursing BScNursing Times AwardsUniversity of Brighton

Kerry Burnett • 19/03/2018