Sport and health science courses at Brighton news

Let’s share the benefit …of Occupational Therapy!

It’s not every day that you can say that your blog has had over 36,000 views from different corners of the world, however it is clear that this lady is exceptional, and she deserves every bit of recognition!

Cancer survivor Alice McGarvie is spreading the word worldwide on the benefits of occupational therapy (OT) – and her message has gone viral.

The University of Brighton graduate’s blog is being hailed as one of the clearest explanations of the benefits of Occupational Therapy.

Having graduated last year with an MSc in Occupational Therapy, Alice now runs her own practice offering OT and ‘harp therapy’, using the ancient instrument to provide “a soothing and calming sound” as therapy.

Her career was boosted when she shared in £10,000 prize money from the university’s enterprise programme beepurple for entrepreneurial students and graduates, a scheme funded by Santander Universities.

Alice last year underwent surgery for breast cancer and afterwards found herself providing OT to herself: “I was unable to run, so I had to adapt and substitute running with walking. I could not reach or lift things so again I had to adapt by placing things in reach, and getting help with the heavy stuff. I was fatigued so I had to learn to pace myself throughout the day and I had trouble sleeping so I developed a good sleep hygiene routine.

“I was being my own occupational therapist, making adaptations to the way I do things and to my environment to enable me to live life my way, and continue doing my occupations.

“This is what occupational therapists do, we treat the person, not the diagnosis…”

Tania Wiseman, Alice’s OT course leader at the university, said: “Alice has been able to explain Occupational Therapy in a way that has attracted some of the world’s most renowned therapists. She is quite remarkable.”

In helping to create further awareness about this therapy and help others understand why it’s important – let’s continue to share the benefit of OT. With over 36,000 views – wouldn’t it be amazing if we could help her reach 50,000 views?!

Read and share Alice’s blog now, to help raise awareness about OT, and how this contributed to Alice’s amazing and inspirational journey.

For more information on related courses at the University of Brighton click here.

Alice McGarvieAlice McGarvie; cancer survivor; Occupational Therapybeepurplebreast cancerCancer survivorEuropean MSc in Occupational Therapygraduatesharp therapyOccupational TherapistOccupational therapyTania Wisemanuniversity of brighton graduateviral

Kerry Burnett • 06/03/2017