Sport and health science courses at Brighton news

Value of Sport Conference

Last month the University of Brighton held its Value of Sport Conference at the Falmer campus for local college students to highlight how they can pursue a career in the sport industry.

Sport and Exercise Science BSc(Hons) student Verity Cooper reflects on the day:

“I was invited to the conference as a student ambassador. It was great to share my passion for the field of sport, and to share my experiences as a student working towards a career in sport.

“I provided the student life talk sharing my experiences of student life, why I am glad that I decided to study at university (after 2 years of working full-time since 6th form), what I have gained whilst being a student including numerous job opportunities, such as working as a student ambassador, working for an obstacle course race company called Spartan Race, becoming a cheerleader for the university team, gaining a cheerleading coach qualification and opportunities to work with a junior cheerleading squad.

“I also shared tips for student life, and for searching and applying for universities and helped run a personal statement/CV writing session for the students, which was actually helpful for me too. After giving the students a whistle stop tour of the campus, we stopped for lunch before listening in to our guest speakers.

IMG_0652 (002)“Each talk inspired and motivated me and I have since signed up for more volunteer opportunities. From volunteering at my local park run, I have found out about a local running club to join to help me train for the Beachy Head Half Marathon!

“Marc and Dave from Brighton & Hove Albion FC spoke about the different professional roles at their stadium, such as Strength & Conditioning Coaches, Physiotherapists and Psychologists. Alongside running the football club they also spoke about Albion in the Community, their non-profit charity, which is working towards tackling inequality and creating more employment opportunities.

“Owen Evans, lecturer in sport journalism at the university, spoke about ‘looking beyond the gold watch’ that one receives at retirement and believes success is about getting different experiences and working different roles. To get to those roles, the sporting industry is working towards moving from who you know, to what you know by raising the demands for higher skills, such as a degree.

IMG_0653“Ragheb Aga, International Cricketer and University of Brighton Alumni, said to Strive for excellence in everything you do. It was a pleasure to listen to the inspiring Ragheb, who was the first recipient of the Elite Athlete Sports Scholarship at the University of Brighton for his achievements in cricket. He was the youngest ever captain (age 17) for the Kenyan International Cricket Under 19’s and explored this passion through a BSc in Sport & Exercise Science.

“Ragheb spoke about having courage, resilience and excellence in everything you do. To have a plan b  and an entrepreneurial mind-set. Recognise who you are, what you are, what your brand is about. You are your brand. His advice for being a student was to read as much as you can, engage with people, develop social skills, share knowledge, contribute and cooperate – all this accelerates your success.”

The day was well received by attendees and as the quotes below show:

Through this conference I have learnt that there are no limits to what you can achieve as long as you pursue and be sure of what you want to achieve. I found the information given to me today very useful.

“It really made me realise that seizing opportunities is really important.”

“I feel that I was able to understand various different aspects within the courses I am interested in. I also now understand the value of what experiences and volunteering can help and aid you towards the goals I want to achieve.”

“The uni atmosphere was good and gave a taste of what is to come if I attend university.”

Kerry Burnett • 10/08/2016