FMP WEEK 3, JAN 8TH

To begin my project, I have researched into artists and collections from galleries which inspire me. My I first analysed the photography of Simryn Gill, who created this series, ‘My Own Private Angkor’ in the National Gallery of Singapore, of an abandoned housing estate in Malaysia. The frames of glass window panes have been stolen – leaving her subject, the sheets, deserted.

National Gallery of Singapore : Mona Hatoumi, ‘Imprentrable’

Made from hanging black finished steel and fishing wire, this installation creates a three dimensional cube. The piece symbolises the trapping structures within society and everyday life. This got me asking myself – does fashion constrict us or does it break barriers?

The Photographer’s Gallery : Arno Schidlowski , ‘Inner Skies’

Schidlowski’s photography uses landscape settings to express mood and emotion. Focusing on nature, his images have pure and romantic connotations. I particularly liked these two photographs as the first encourages reflection and the second has attention to detail in a fully bled subject matter. In my interpretation the use of the colour red is a symbolism of damage/ hurt.