Geography, geology and environment at Brighton

From a placement point of view: the story so far

Find out how Ella, who is studying Environmental Science BSc(Hons), is getting on during her placement year.

I have been a part of the European Sustainability Affairs Team for almost seven months now and it is safe to say I am still learning; my skills are expanding and I’m having a lot of fun in the process!

Right now my job roles vary week by week. I am consistently responsible for standard monthly/weekly reporting alongside supporting the European subsidiaries. Other than that I find myself completing a wide range of tasks from applying for environmental awards with our eco-products to contacting HQ (in Korea!) to discuss trade show details. I am currently creating an eco-ranking that can be used to benchmark our eco products against our competitors.

I still have another 6 months left of my placement and I now understand how valuable this experience is. It has given me a better idea of where I would like to work in the future. I also feel that after working for a year I will undoubtedly appreciate my third year at University a lot more and dedicate more time to university assignments (…hopefully!). I have enjoyed my time so far and I know the rest of the year is going to fly by. It is because of these reasons that I would highly recommend a placement year to anyone who has the option.

Stephanie Thomson • January 28, 2015