March 30

Reading the signs – Brief 1 Hidden meanings, making the invisible visible : Step 2

Primary references, resources and artist research :

Image preview  Image preview

Image preview

I took inspiration from James Jean and took the time to create loose observational drawings using ink on a A1 sheet of paper (like he did) and found that it was really helpful in making me less focused on detail and more on the actual figure proportions i was observing which i happened to mtake from one of Michel Lauricella’s books of ‘Fat and skin folds’ Morpho series.

Image previewImage preview

I decided to take a photo of something i’d cooked to represent the ‘congested’ word metaphorically because i think it fits well with what I had in mind when it comes to being ‘lonely’ while doing food shopping yet putting all the food that is just for me into a fridge which I share ‘together’ with three others of my flatmates.

I proceeded to make a collage of it at first to experiment with the layered effect it would give off contributing to the ‘congestion’ of it and all.

Image preview Image.jpeg

Time laps

Image preview

Image preview

In this 1h study of a food basket I used acrylic paint for its fast drying purposes as i knew from the beginning i was going to create a layered piece of work. I’m not too pleased with how the end result ended up looking as I’m not very fluent in this type of blotchy art style, although it made me realise i really like working with big brush strokes like in my digital pieces. As I really like ths kind of close up composition of the food basket representing the lonely experience of grocery shopping at uni, I want to carry on in this direction during this project.

More artist research :

I’d been experimenting with some fruit photos and decided to try and actually stamp the fruit itself and see if i’d be able to get any sort of reflection. I was supried at how much I was actually bable to get from just vone strawberry and the uiqueness of each stamp and the texture that I want to experiment with more and other foods in this technique.

Image previewImage preview

Posted March 30, 2022 by Fran in category AGP403 task 1 - project 5

About the Author

Hi and welcome! This space is dedicated for me to post my progress as an artist, showcasing the processes of the art I create along with research I find along the way :)