events Uncategorized

Thomas Hjelm MA RCA student talk Tuesday 28th January

Thomas Hjelm image

The overriding idea about my current practice is the ‘Residue of Gesture’, I am concerned with how intent and consequence are intertwined through action. I attempt to emulate these three states through the 3 key methods of my practice: scanning, printing, stitching.

All of my imagery is made with various scanners. This is a tool I have worked with for many years not only because of the intimacy it requires with the subject at hand, but I believe there is an uncanny familiarity surrounding the scanned digital glitch. A prevalent motif for our cybernetic age.

I then translate the scanned imagery through my own customised printers. This process allows me to create unique prints through devices that were intended for repetition. As I repeat the printing process, the surface of canvas is treated far more like a painting than any other medium. Adding and removing layers through repetition and physical interjection(ripping & pulling the canvas through the printer), mediated through my customised machinery.

It is a very labour intensive process which is then heightened by how I cut the works up and reassemble the imagery by stitching together the residue. The stitched lines become part of the work, not just an act of collage.