Briefing for design for performance – 24/11/22

Today was the briefing for the new project ‘design for performance’. We were given a new text for this project called ‘The Butterfly Man’ by Lydia Millet. I am looking forward to working with a new text as I feel like I have explored all the parts of the previous text. This is a performance project with all of the students on the course involved which I am excited about. It will be really interesting to collaborate with all the other students and work in a group together. I am currently interested in being a part of either the set design team or the costume team, but I think I am leaning more towards set design.

After reading the text I made a note of any ideas I had for the set design. I am picturing leaves and other plants with bites taken out of them from the caterpillars, these would be very large so that the audience has a point of view of an insect and feels as though they are part of the set. The colour palette will mainly consist of greens, yellows, blues and purples to replicate the natural world.