Experimenting with garment selection on the body – the body at one with fear & phobia

I have been revisiting my original idea of incorporating fear & phobia with ‘The Body’. At the beginning of this project I was extremely interested in comparing the body to the minds deepest fears. I had been studying the idea of using the body to symbolise a fear such as fear of insects (Entomophobia). I looked at the book ‘Posturing: Photographing the body in Fashion’ which I was particularly inspired by, the book has a selection of photographs by a collection of photographers showing the body in different poses and movements showing the bodies flexibility. I then planned a series of photoshoots with the idea of using different garments on my models body to create a variety of shapes that symbolise insects in a sinister and unnerving way. I did three separate shoots using figure tight clothing compared to loose fitting clothing where you can not see the bodies shape.

I then edited some of the photographs to create certain shapes by adding more limbs in places and duplicating features. Some of my images I feel are strong unedited (Black dress with volume) as the simplicity of the uneven background works well with the ‘crab’ pose the model is doing giving it an eery feeling and can easily be connected to insect movements and shapes.

1 Thought.