‘THE BODY’ & BECOMING OTHER FORMS

The Body is a large part of my research project, I find the way it reacts to different situations and materials extremely interesting. So far I have been researching ‘Irritants’ and how the body reacts to different materials. In the first stage of this project I was exploring the use of uncomfortable and irritating textures, objects and living things. I am now exploring how the body as a representation of our own fears. Dance, specifically ballet has always been unnerving to me personally, the way a human can move so smooth and fast yet so lightly on their feet. When thinking about this deeper I have made the connection with the ‘scurry’ of insects and the way they carry themselves. I came across a photograph taken by Vadim Stein of two ballet dancers back to back to me this image creates the illusion of two bodies becoming a single spider form (top middle image in the mood board). This concept leads me to think of how human bodies can become another form, in some cases they can become a form of what we fear the most.

Bottom mood board: Rafael Gomezbarros – Invasive Art Instillation