Artwork

‘Come and dance with me’

Movement Making Marks

The video installation and prints shown are part of new work made responding to my initial research question, “How can learning and non learning disabled participants perform together in a sculpture that can be worn?”

In ‘Come and dance with me’ I invited four performers to collaborate in an improvisational way.  I chose performers who had experience in this genre as one of my recommendations from my research project was to work with professionals in the field which allowed for the research to go deeper in a faster time frame.  The participants, Carlos, Belinda, Louella and Liz worked with me one to one to develop further the ideas around my initial research question of sameness and commonality through the movement.

I was curious to investigate further the moments of cohesion and synchronicity between two people working collaboratively, to explore more deeply the areas of movement and mark making that arose from my research project.  Choosing two strands of response via performance and print I wanted to find a way of bringing these two mediums together.  Artist Amalia Flarakou recommended i look at performance print, an area of print making i had not come across.  In this area I found inspiration from artists Adelaide Damoah, Clare Thornton and Jane Fox who were all working in the genre.  It was at this moment that i realised how i could move my own print making forward by combining it with performance.

The Mask was made in a research project as part of the MA Inclusive arts practice course at The University of Brighton. Seen here in an outtake from the video installation, ‘Come and dance with me’, part of final work for the Postgraduate degree.

Liz Aggiss performing in ‘Come and dance with me’ a video installation as part of the MA inclusive arts practice course, University of Brighton
Etching made using gold pigment and 24c gold leaf
Etching made using gold pigment and 24c gold leaf on paper
Etching using black ink on paper
Etching using black ink on paper
Etching using black ink on paper
Etching using black ink on paper
Still from video ‘come and dance with me’ a triptych of three films that overlap.

Taped down outside the door leading into the video installation ‘Come and dance with me’ i placed etching plates for viewers to scratch and tread on as they entered the space.  These etchings are the physical records of the collaborative process by means of the audience entering into the space to watch the film installation.  These are the traces of encounters my work had with the viewing public.

Traces of encounters with visitors to my graduate show at the University of Brighton.