School of Education news

Image of the hive school building and swimming pool

My Education BA placement in the Dominican Republic

Our Education BA offers students a wide variety of enriching placement opportunities to develop key skills and enjoy unmissable experiences. During their time at Brighton, students will take part in a two-week placement in their first year, followed by an eight-week extended placement in the second year.

Prior to their placement, students attend the school’s annual employability day, which provides a range of enlightening sessions to help prepare them for their upcoming placements as well as a career in the education sector.

Second-year student, Phoebe has recently returned from her placement at the Hive School in the Dominican Republic and tells us more about her experience:

“I chose to go on placement at the Hive School as I am interested in making change, I wanted to experience a child-led approach to learning because I would like to work in international education development.

“Initially, I struggled to find a placement that fit these criteria however, the university had an existing contact with The Hive and was able to support me in arranging everything.

“The Hive School put on a variety of change-maker programmes in line with the UN’s sustainable development goals. The programmes invole a child-lead approach to learning.

“From the experience, I have gained confidence, global awareness and skills in self-regulation. I also had the chance to practice speaking some Spanish.

“A highlight for me was being able to immerse myself in the community. On evenings and weekends, I participated in many community activities, which were as enriching as the placement itself. For example, the mayor of the town I was staying in pays for the community to do Zumba classes on the coast at sunset, here every weekday the community gather in salsa dance and connect after a day’s work. Being able to be a part of this was a pleasure.

“My placement has given me direct experience in the type of career I would like to go into after graduating.”

The education studies team is committed to ensuring that each student has the freedom to pursue their individual interests and passions whilst choosing a personalised placement that benefits student learning.

The course leader said: “One of the great things about placement from a tutors perspective is the wide range of settings our students find and negotiate with. The experience brings a richness to our students’ understanding of education and makes the placement modules a joy to be involved with.”

Christina Camm • May 2, 2023