School of Education news

Forest School

Early Childhood Education and Care BA students visit Forest School!

Once a year, our Early Childhood Education and Care BA students have the opportunity to visit to the Mohair Centre, spending a day getting involved in the Forest School activities. 

The Mohair Centre is a nursery setting on a local working farm run by Jacky Webb. As well as the Forest School, the centre comprises a nursery that includes facilities for one to four year olds, an out of school holiday club, after school club, a holiday play scheme, gardens and allotment.

The Forest School is a rich natural classroom that provides children and adults with the chance to experience nature first hand. From woodland to ponds, you can enjoy activities such as den building, making mud sculptures and cooking outdoors.

During the field trip, our students and tutors share the experience to partake in team building and immerse themselves in the Forest School through activities including making camp fires and feeding the animals.

Megan Orbell is one of our third year Early Childhood Education and Care students who found the Forest School to be a valuable, enriching part of the course.

Megan said: Meghan Orbell student“This was an amazing experience as I had never seen or been into a Forest School. This was a key learning experience for me as I was able to develop my knowledge and understanding of Forest Schools and the importance of outdoor learning.

“After I graduate, I will be going on to achieve my PGCE where I will be working alongside a local school. This course has taught me so much about education in the early years and the different theories that underpin these ideas. The course has promoted me to think more in-depth about my own ideas about how children should be educated and be able to support my ideas with theories.

“The Early Childhood Education and Care course has helped me to become more confident in myself and become confident in my work.”

Below are images from our forest school visits over the years.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Sally Curley • March 6, 2019