School of Education news

Early Childhood Education and Care voluntary placement

Second year student, Amy Thayre, studying on the Early Childhood Education and Care BA(Hons), will be embarking on a voluntary placement at a Dali Kindergarten in China this summer.

Amy Thayre, second year ECEC studentAmy decided to apply for the placement after attending a lecture about early years education in China and said: “I thought it would be an amazing, once in a life time opportunity, which I couldn’t miss.

“My tutors have been very helpful; they set up the lecture with the guest speakers to come in and talk to us and also helped me to get in contact with the mediators from the Dali foundation who were offering the placement.

“I’m hoping to gain a lot through this placement such as different communication methods, skills in teaching English abroad, but above all, the opportunity to experience the culture and practices of such a major up-and-coming country.

“Throughout the whole of the course we have been continually discussing different methods on how to best support children where English is their second language, and hopefully through this placement I will gain further experience and insight in this vital aspect of education in a multi-cultural society.”

Julie Canavan, assistant programme leader said: “Working abroad and communicating via other people’s second language will be a test for Amy. She will need to draw upon her resilience as well as skills developed around interacting with practitioners, parents and careers already developed through observational study visits.

“I believe such opportunities broaden students understanding of how education is carried out in other countries, which will benefit Amy in her International module next year”.

Amy, who has always wanted to work with children, is hoping to travel and teach abroad after graduating and this placement will provide excellent experience for her to add to her CV. We wish her the best of luck on her placement.

Christina Camm • March 28, 2018