School of Education news

Family Fun Day

A hugely successful Family Fun Day took place at the university’s Falmer campus on Saturday 11th March.

Over 170 adults and children enjoyed this year’s Family Fun Day which took place in the Checkland building. It was open to students and staff who study or work on the Falmer campus and who have young children. It was the best attended Fun Day so far.

Activities for the children included face painting, reptile handling, a circus workshop and a bouncy slide. For the adults hand and neck and shoulder massages were available.

As well as providing lots of fun for the children the event is a great opportunity for students  who are parents of young children to meet each other and to build a sense of community.

Here is what some our students thought about the event:

“It was lovely to talk to another student from [my department], we were sharing experiences of raising boys! We also swapped study tips and challenges which was reassuring”.

“It felt like the university were acknowledging me and my family and my position as a mother as well as student. It makes me feel valued as a person and more connected”.

“I enjoyed that I got to take time out from studying and spend quality time with the children in my place of study”.

“It was lovely to be able to bring my daughter to show her where I go all week and let her enjoy being at ‘uni’, she loved the Open Learning Centre”.

Kerry Burnett • March 15, 2017