School of Education news

3

Former Head of School of Education honoured

Maggie Carroll, the former Head of the School of Education has been awarded the Fellowship of the University of Brighton.

Maggie Carroll

​The Fellowship was awarded to Maggie in recognition of her major contribution to the University of Brighton and her promotion of teaching and learning at the highest level.

Speaking at the awards ceremony, Maggie Carroll said: “My time at Brighton was always joyous and fulfilling and so I find it a real privilege to be standing here this afternoon and to receive this honour for doing something I loved.

“My advice to all of those graduating today is simple. Don’t be afraid of change – embrace it! And recognise the importance of those ‘significant others’ you will come across during your careers whose advice, guidance and wisdom will help to shape your futures.”

After joining the (then) Brighton College of Education in the early 1970s, Maggie initially became known for her pioneering work in primary school Physical Education. She inspired several generations of teachers and produced school-based texts to help them teach well.

Maggie seized opportunities for developing new career paths within Brighton Polytechnic and then the University of Brighton. She was always certain that she did not wish to move from the University, as she cherished its values, its focus on the student experience, and its belief in giving space to colleagues to run with ideas.

She became Head of the School of Education in 1996, and led a dynamic and successful school until her first retirement in 2004. However, the School wanted her back – so she returned for a further 10 more years teaching students.

Christina Camm • August 1, 2016

Comments

1. Alison September 7, 2016 - 6:38 pm Reply

I am so delighted to see this news. Maggie gave me such tremendous support in 1988/ 1989 whilst I was at Brighton Poly. To this day I have not forgotten her as a light of inspiration that enabled me to go out in the world and become the person I am today.

2. Steven Wilkinson February 4, 2023 - 9:33 am Reply

Maggie was one of my PE Lecturers at the Falmer site of Brighton Polytechnic from 1980 to 1983. She was wonderful. Along with Barry Copley, Di Dockeral and Jerry Fairclough, she inspired me to go into teaching, a career I have just retired from after 40 wonderful years. I would love to speak to her and say thank you for her inspiration and guidance.
    Steve Wilkinson, Sheffield.

3. Melanie November 9, 2023 - 6:46 pm Reply

I remember Maggie from my time at Brighton, training to be a teacher (1983-7). I wasn’t sure if teaching was really what I wanted to do and I wanted to take a year out. Maggie listened and gave me wise counsel. I took Maggie’s advice and completed my degree. I didn’t go on to teach but having the degree opened other doors to an alternative and very happy career in HR. Maggie was one of the few stand-out people I have met in my life, so far. Very pleased she has received the recognition she deserves.