In the first of our three sessions, we will explore how building and construction is responding to the climate emergencies and carbon neutral targets.
Keynote: How to Design in the age of emergencies, Duncan Baker Brown
Q & A panellists: Tondra Thom (chair), Duncan Baker Brown, Councillor Jim Murray, …
The recording from the event is here:
- 10:00 Introduction to the event and resources
- 10:10 Keynote presentation: How to Design in the age of emergencies – Duncan Baker Brown
- 10:30 Q & A with panellists: Tondra Thom (chair), Duncan Baker Brown, Councillor Jim Murray, Dick Shone
If you’d like to ask our panel a question, we recommend you look at the relevant resources below first. You can ask your question at the live event, or you can send us your question in advance using the link below.
Resources to support this session:
- Video interview with Eastbourne councillor Jim Murray on building policies and planning
- Video interview with Eastbourne councillor Alan Shuttleworth on Social housing, new builds & retrofits
- Video interview with Marc Pope, CITB on retrofit training and qualifications – Watch Marc’s video if you work in construction, or are planning a retrofit with public funding/grants
- Video with Dick Shone, Boutique modern modular housing
- Information: Does it have to cost the earth to fix your front drive?
- Information: Eastbourne Borough Council Climate Emergency Strategy
See also Tips on home insulation in the Saving Energy in your home section.
Resources for training in construction
- Information from the Retrofit Academy on Retrofit Coordinator training (level 5)
- Information from the Retrofit Academy on the Domestic Retrofit Awareness training (level 2)
- Video on Level 2 Award: Understanding Domestic Retrofit
- goconstruct.org CITB website with information on starting a career in construction
- talentview.org website for finding jobs in the construction industry
Understanding Retrofit for home owners
Whether you are planning to do your own retrofit, or pay someone else to do it for you, understanding the different options available and how they are used most effectively can prevent you from making costly mistakes. The Retrofit training course from the Low Carbon Trust is free to enrol on and will teach you the science behind retrofit, why some materials are better than others, energy patterns in your home, how to identify areas in your home that need retrofitting and identify appropriate solutions.
Closed captions are available for this video.
Your Q & A panel
- Tondra Thom: Chair Eastbourne Eco Action Network Energy and Housing Group, Senior planning consultant, Parker Dann
- Duncan Baker Brown founder of BakerBrown, Climate Literacy Champion (Principal Lecturer) at the School of Architecture Technology & Engineering, University of Brighton
- Councillor Jim Murray: Chair of Eastbourne Borough Council planning committee
- Dick Shone: Managing Director Boutique Modern