On this page you can find out about:
- Repair cafes and Sheds
- The Lewes Library of Things
Have you thought about setting up a Repair Café in your community? How about a Library of Things? These schemes are the perfect antidote to excess consumerism, they reduce CO2 emissions from manufacturing, they reduce waste and they save us money.
Tony Rowell set up the Lewes Library of Things in 2019 and the Lewes Repair Café during lockdown in 2021. In the videos below, Tony talks about his experiences and lessons learned.
Repair Café in Seaford – coming soon
Seaford Environmental Alliance are in the process of setting up a Repair Café at
The SEA Climate Hub
4 Clinton Place,
The Repair Café will be held on the last Saturday of the month. Volunteers will be on hand to work through repairs with people, explaining what they are doing to spread their knowledge. We will be repairing small electricals, ceramics, jewellery, bikes, clothing and anything else which our repairers can turn their skills to!
While people wait for their items to be looked at we will have drinks and cake available, as well as an opportunity to look around the hub. The repairs and café are both free but we welcome voluntary donations.
There are three Eastbourne Sheds at Langney, Hampden Park and Seaside. These are spaces for people aged 50+ to potter around in a shed with like minded people. Shedders can get involved with woodworking, wood turning, refurbishing tools and community projects. See the Eastbourne Sheds website.
Other repair cafes nearby
- Chailey Repair Café www.facebook.com/RepairCafe.org/
- Forest Row Repair Café www.facebook.com/RepairCafeForestRow/
- Heathfield Repair Café Repair Cafe Heathfield | Facebook
- Brighton Repair Café www.facebook.com/groups/brightonrepaircafe/
- Do you know of any other local cafes or libraries of things? If so, add a comment (below) to tell us about them and we will add the info to this page.
Resources from other sources
- Organisation for Repair cafes in the UK advice on volunteering and setting up your own café
- Advice from Edventure Frome on setting up a Library of Things.