The Festival of Postgraduate Research has been postponed due to the ongoing Covid-19 health crisis. Apologies for any disappointment. We hope to provide further information when the situation is more stable.
Competition details in brief
Deadline 1: Registration and digital copy: Monday 23 March 2020, 10.00hr
Deadline 2: Hard copy: Monday 30 March, 13.00hr
Posters will be on display at the Festival of Postgraduate Reseach, Wed 01 April, Huxley, Moulsecoomb.
An A1 poster, portrait or landscape, which communicates your research, or an aspect of it, to a non-specialist audience. There will be no accompanying oral presentation. The poster has to do the talking!
To develop those all important research communication and poster design skills, raise your profile – and to compete for cash prizes!
Competition details in full
The Doctoral College’s annual Research Poster Competition aims to showcase and reward the quality and diversity of doctoral research across the University of Brighton.
Posters will be exhibited during our Festival of Postgraduate Research, 01 April. Our panel of judges will select their winners and festival attendees will be invited to vote for their favourite. Winners will be announced at the festival’s closing reception in Huxley foyer.
People’s Choice Prize
Runner up: £200
How to enter
Logo: All posters should feature the University of Brighton logo. To request a logo pack, email DoctoralCollegeFestival@brighton.ac.uk
Printing: Reprographics offer a poster printing service.
Deadlines and poster specs:
Digital submission by Monday 23 March, 10.00hr:
- A jpeg or png file (max 8MB) of your poster to DoctoralCollegeFestival@brighton.ac.uk
- Your online registration form (button at top of page)
Hard copy submission by Monday 30 March, 13.00hr
- A hard copy (A1) of your poster, landscape or portrait, to
- Doctoral College, Watts Building (2nd Floor), Moulsecoomb, Brighton, BN2 4GJ; or
- Doctoral College, Aldro (Room 209), 49 Darley Road, Eastbourne, BN20 7UR
Please mark your name clearly on the poster tube.
Posters are welcome from all doctoral students* across the university and may be submitted by individuals or groups. Only one entry per person/group is permitted.
* Doctoral students are eligible to enter up to the point that their PhD has been conferred.
Applicants are invited to submit a poster which communicates their research, or an aspect of it, to a non-specialist audience. The poster should include:
- title of the research
- name of author(s) and their school
- name of lead supervisor or supervisory team
- name of funding body if appropriate
- University of Brighton logo (see ‘How to enter’ above)
Please note, this competition is for posters only; there will be no accompanying oral presentation.
The judging panel will assess according to two criteria which are equally weighted:
- Poster Design – visual presentation and communication of ideas.
- Research Content – the quality of the research described in the poster and how easily this can be understood by non-subject specialists.
Need help creating your poster?
Creating an Effective Research Poster (Doctoral College PRDP workshop)
Wednesday 04 March 2020, 10.30-12.30, Cockcroft 808, Moulsecoomb campus
Book your place now
Posters and Banners with Publisher (University workshop)
Thursday 27 February 2020, 10.00-12.00, Watts G6, Moulsecoomb
Book your place now
For online software training and design tips, including InDesign training, check out Skills for Poster Design (PDF), a guide to LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com) courses compiled for us by colleagues in Information Services.
Terms and conditions
- Entries that do not conform to the specifications will be rejected.
- Posters and research must be the original work of the entrant.
- Entrants are not permitted to canvas for votes in the People’s Choice prize category eg via ‘vote for me’ campaigns. Anyone found doing so will be disqualified.
- By submitting a poster to the competition the owner allows it to be used without change in publicity associated with the University of Brighton eg to display within the University or feature in university publications, websites etc.
- No responsibility can be accepted for lost entries.
We look forward to receiving your submission. Good luck!