The Festival of Postgraduate Research has been postponed due to the ongoing Covid-19 health crisis. Apologies for any disappointment. We hope to provide further information when the situation is more stable.
Competition details in brief
Deadline 1: Registration and digital copy: Monday 23 March 2020, 10.00hr
Deadline 2: Hard copy: Monday 30 March, 13.00hr
Photos will be on display at the Festival of Postgraduate Reseach, Wed 01 April, Huxley, Moulsecoomb.
An A3 photograph, portrait or landscape, colour or black and white, which captures an aspect of your research, plus a 150 word description.
To develop those all important research communication skills, raise your profile – and to compete for cash prizes!
Competition details in full
The Doctoral College’s annual Research Photo Competition aims to showcase and reward the quality and diversity of doctoral research across the University of Brighton.
Photos will be exhibited during our Festival of Postgraduate Research, 01 April. Festival attendees will be invited to vote for their favourite. Winners will be announced at the festival’s closing reception in Huxley foyer.
People’s Choice 1st Prize
People’s Choice Runner Up Prize
How to enter
Printing: Reprographics offer a photo printing service.
Deadlines and photo specs:
Digital submission by Monday 23 March, 10.00hr:
- A jpeg or png file (max 8MB) of your research photograph to DoctoralCollegeFestival@brighton.ac.uk
- Your online registration form (button at top of page)
Hard copy submission by Monday 30 March, 13.00hr
- A hard copy (A3) of your photo, landscape or portrait, black and white or colour, to
- Doctoral College, Watts Building (2nd Floor), Moulsecoomb, Brighton, BN2 4GJ; or
- Doctoral College, Aldro (Room 209), 49 Darley Road, Eastbourne, BN20 7UR
You must ensure your image is of print quality. A resolution of at least 300ppi is recommended.
Please mark your name clearly on the photo tube or envelope.
Posters are welcome from all doctoral and MRes students* across the university. Only one entry per person is permitted.
* Doctoral students are eligible to enter up to the point that their PhD has been conferred.
Applicants are invited to submit a single-image photo (no composite or collage images), portrait or landscape, colour or black and white, which captures an aspect of their research. The photograph should be accompanied by a dynamic title and 150 word description, submitted via the registration form.
Terms and conditions
- Images must relate to research within or strongly associated with the University of Brighton.
- All images submitted should be the work of the individual submitting them.
- Each entrant is responsible for ensuring that the image they submit has been taken with permission of the subject and does not infringe the copyright of any 3rd party or any laws.
- No nudes or portrayals of illegal activities. Submissions that, in the sole discretion of the organisers, are considered inappropriate or unsuitable for publication will be deemed ineligible and removed from the competition.
- Entries that do not conform to the specifications will be rejected.
- Entrants are not permitted to canvas for votes eg via ‘vote for me’ campaigns. Anyone found doing so will be removed from the competition.
- By submitting a photograph to the competition the owner allows it to be used without charge in publicity associated with the University of Brighton eg to display within the University or feature in university publications, websites etc.
- No responsibility can be accepted for lost entries.
- Submitted images should not have previously won another photographic competition.
We look forward to receiving your submission. Good luck!