**Deadline extended to Tuesday 29 May, 10am**
Competition submission date:
Thursday 24 May 2018, 12pm (midday)
We are delighted to announce our second Research Photo Competition, one of the events in this year’s Festival of Postgraduate Research. This competition asks entrants to capture an image that represents an aspect of research being undertaken at the University of Brighton.
Winners will be voted for by the university community and two prizes will be awarded of £150 and £100.
The research photos will be on display in the foyer of Huxley, Moulsecoomb, from 12pm on Thursday 7 June and online for at least one week prior to the festival event. All staff members of the university will be eligible to vote once online for their favourite photo.
The winners will be announced at the Festival of Postgraduate Research’s closing reception in Huxley foyer, 7 June.
Photographs are welcome from all doctoral* and MRes students across the university (only one entry per person permitted).
* Doctoral students are eligible to apply up to the point that their PhD has been conferred by the Doctoral College Examinations Sub-Committee.
Applicants are invited to submit a single photograph (no composite, multiple or collage images) which captures an aspect of their research. The photograph should be accompanied by a dynamic title and 150 word description, submitted via the online registration form (see below).
Need some inspiration?
How to enter the competition
Applicants should submit:
- By Tuesday 29 May, 10am: An digital copy of their research photograph to DoctoralWorkshops@brighton.ac.uk
- By Tuesday 29 May, 10am: Their online registration form (below) which includes a requirement to provide a short (150 words) description of the research photograph. (Log in to save and return to the form later.)
- By Monday 4 June, 12pm: A hard copy of their research photograph to Doctoral College, Watts Building (2nd Floor), Moulsecoomb, Brighton, BN2 4GJ
The hard copy image must be 300ppi (pixels per inch) with physical dimension equivalent to an A3 size piece of paper. Full colour or black and white images are permitted. Visit the university’s Reprographics Print Service here.
Terms and conditions
- Images must relate to research within or strongly associated with the University of Brighton.
- All images submitted should be the work of the individual submitting them.
- Each entrant is responsible for ensuring that the image they submit has been taken with permission of the subject and does not infringe the copyright of any 3rd party or any laws.
- No nudes or portrayals of illegal activities. Submissions that, in the sole discretion of the organisers, are considered inappropriate or unsuitable for publication will be deemed ineligible and removed from the competition.
- Entries that do not conform to the specifications for the image file or the 150 word description will be rejected.
- Entrants are not permitted to canvas for votes eg via ‘vote for me’ campaigns. Anyone found doing so will be removed from the competition.
- By submitting a photograph to the competition the owner allows it to be used without charge in publicity associated with the University of Brighton eg to display within the University or feature in university publications, websites etc.
- No responsibility can be accepted for lost entries.
- Submitted images should not have previously won another photographic competition.
- Entrants will be required to attend the closing reception of the Festival of Postgraduate Research on Thursday 7 June, Huxley, or to send a nominated representative