Competition submission date:
4.00pm Friday 21st April 2017
DEADLINE EXTENDED: Friday 5th May, 12pm, ie midday
Brighton Doctoral College is delighted to announce its first Research Photo Competition. The competition asks entrants to capture an image that represents an aspect of research being undertaken at the University of Brighton. The winning photographs will be announced at the Festival of Postgraduate Research’s closing reception on Friday 19th May from 16.15 in Checkland Asa Briggs Foyer, Falmer Campus.
Photographs entered into the competition will be exhibited in foyer of the Checkland Asa Briggs Hall from 1pm on Wednesday 17th May until the close of the festival. The photos will also be displayed online for one week prior to the event to ensure they reach as wide an audience as possible.
Photographs are welcome from all research students* across the university (only one entry per person permitted).
Applicants are invited to submit a single photograph (no composite, multiple or collage images) which captures an aspect their research. The photograph should be accompanied by a dynamic title and approximately 150 words describing the image, any noteworthy photographic details, what the research portrayed is about and the application of the research. This should be written for non-subject specialists.
If you’d like a little inspiration to kick start your creativity, check out the photos in some similar competitions here.
Applicants should submit:
- By Friday 5th May, 12pm: An electronic copy of their research photograph along with a word document containing the photo title and the 150 word description to Fiona Sutton
- By Friday 12th May 4pm: A hard copy of their research photograph to Doctoral College ▪ Mayfield 132 ▪ Falmer Campus ▪ Village Way ▪ Brighton BN1 9PH ▪
The hard copy image must be 300ppi (pixels per inch) with physical dimension equivalent to an A3 size piece of paper. Full colour or black and white images are permitted. Visit the university’s Reprographics Print Service here.
* Research students are eligible to apply up to the point that their PhD has been conferred by the Doctoral College Examinations Sub-Committee. MRes students are also eligible to apply.
Terms and conditions
- Images must relate to research within or strongly associated with the University of Brighton.
- All images submitted should be the work of the individual submitting them.
- Each entrant is responsible for ensuring that the image they submit has been taken with permission of the subject and does not infringe the copyright of any 3rd party or any laws.
- No nudes or portrayals of illegal activities. Submissions that, in the sole discretion of the organisers, are considered inappropriate or unsuitable for publication will be deemed ineligible and removed from the competition.
- Entries that do not conform to the specifications for the image file or the 150 word description will be rejected.
- By submitting an image to the competition the owner allows it to be used without charge in publicity associated with the University of Brighton. For example, this includes printing as a poster to display within the University and publication in University literature and websites etc.
- No responsibility can be accepted for lost entries.
- Submitted images should not have previously won another photographic competition.
- Entrants will be required to attend the closing event of the Festival of Postgraduate Research on Friday 19th May 2017, Checkland Building, Falmer Campus or to send a nominated representative.