Signs

While looking for how I would present the images that would become my animations whilst showing a strong connection to my chosen text “The Fat Workie”  I came across the major imagery used in all forms of building and road work… Construction signs. In most places of work, from construction sites to warehouses, safety signs are a necessary part of worker safety and awareness. They are put in place in order to prevent injury and make sure everyone is aware of a dangerous environment.  Key aspects that is noted from these signs is the use of a commanding colours that draw peoples attention, the simple imagery used to make clear what the sign is portraying and the size of the sign to make it obvious. The strong colours used all have meanings connected to them:

Red – Prohibited: Signs with a red border such as ‘no smoking’ signs, are present when an action is not allowed on the premises.

Yellow – Warning: These signs warn people of danger in the area, examples of yellow signs are ‘high voltage’ and ‘hazardous area’ signs.

Blue – Mandatory/site safety: Blue safety signs are usually outside of an industrial site to inform staff and visitors of what they need to know before entering an area. Examples of these signs are ‘keep out’ and ‘fire door keep shut’.

Green – Health & safety: Health and safety signs inform people of where to go in an emergency. Green signs are often used to indicate the location of first aid, fire doors and emergency equipment.

Construction Signs - An OverviewConstruction Ahead Sign Pack 20 - Free Printable SignsPrintable Construction Signs - ClipArt Best - ClipArt Best - ClipArt Best

Signs such as these draw clear connections to construction sites as well as being eye-grabbing which is why I intend to use them as a starting point for my final works.