Location Drawing

As one of our sessions, we were given the task of doing location drawings. This day began outside of the university and involved a 30-40 min walk to Brighton Marina where we sat for a while and had I not rained it may have been very pleasant. I covered quite a distance while on the location drawing “trip”. I found some very interesting shapes and forms within the masts of the boats. I chose to do many of these sketches as layered pieces with many different colours and a variation between pen and pencil. I have recently discovered the effectiveness of layering pieces like this and so was trying to implement them in these quick sketches.

I then returned to the Palace Pier from the location drawing session on two separate occasions, once when it was raining and once in the sun. When I went to draw in the rain, as expected, it caused materials to run and the paper to rip.

In the sun however, I had a much more pleasant beachside experience and as such started to quite happily draw onto stones that I found on the beach. Although this was done quite casually I enjoyed it and think that the Gull came out better than I expected.