Friday, 11th November 2016: Day 5

The D-Day!

At around 4:00 AM I panicked since the poster was still pending. I stopped working on the model and started with the poster, based on the email received from Damian, the previous evening. For the poster, I also had to scan and collate all our hand drawn sketches that would show the sequence of the design evolution.  By 7:30 AM, the poster had taken shape and it was about time to leave as the drive would take over an hour. I looked visibly tired and my partner for life offered to drive me and the model to Brighton! Since we were to report at 8 am and I could not have made it at that hour, Damian volunteered to arrive early to represent our team. When I arrived with the model at 9, he was sitting in the café. The cleaning lady shooed him away from the studio at 8 saying he was too early and students are only allowed there for 9 AM start! Poor Damian!

Earlier that morning Joe had sent me an email urging me to not make him speak in front of the jury as he had a massive public speaking phobia. I did not get a chance to read the email before meeting him. When the students from Hazelwick arrived, Joe approached me again with the same request. Even Katie was reluctant to take part in the presentation. I had pulled off the previous night and managed to complete the model and poster to a reasonable detail, but was completely knackered in the morning. I barely had the energy to persuade the two for the presentation talk. Taylor was most prepared and had no inhibition in facing the jury. This gave me some boost. Damian agreed to take over as soon as I had introduced the group for the presentation.

Dr Poorang got in at 9:00 AM to arrange the studio furniture for displaying our posters and models for an 11:00 am start. I continued giving finishing touches to the main model, Damian went to reprographics to print off the poster and the youngsters helped Dr Poorang in the room arrangement. Before the presentation our group had a few minutes’ discussion about the order in which we would present.

poster1

This is what our poster looked like; composed using Adobe in-design and complete write-up was Damian’s contribution (Smita, 2016)

img_0363

Dr Poorang taking photos of our completed model while Alex and the Hazelwick teachers look on (Smita, 2016)

img_0374

Birds’ eye view of our completed model. Modelling artists: Smita, Katie & Joe (Smita, 2016)

frame32

View of model from different angles showing detail of masts, staircase/lift block and suspension cables. (Left) Also demonstrating how the ramp merges with the Lewes road sidewalk (Smita, 2016)

img_0372

View of model showing the Watts Car park side ramp (Smita, 2016)

img_0380

View of model from an approximate human height viewing angle (Smita, 2016)

At the stroke of 11:00, we all stood in silence for two minutes to pay our respect to the brave soldiers who fought the world wars. It was 11th of November; a day observed as ‘Remembrance Day’.

Soon after each group started presenting their work and we found the jury actively involved. Our group was the last in the order. With every passing minute my condition was getting worse. However, our team managed to perform reasonable well. I introduced the team ‘Newport Transporter’ and immediately after Damian started explaining the whole process of our design proposal starting with precedent studies through the shaping of the form and structural system not missing to include the point about conformity to building regulations and the manual for bridge design.

I took up from the point on explaining the footbridge location and also described the design. Then I requested Katie, Joe and Taylor to say whatever they could and to my surprise Joe and Katie managed a few lines each! They spoke of their precedent study without actually going into any details and also about their contribution to the model. Taylor as expected was most impressive and was the only one of the three who answered a jury question. Damian then described the detailed model and when it was time for jury questions, I answered most of the questions.

Highlights and learning from Day 5

In the hindsight I do think that a good night’s sleep and better planning for the presentation was needed. If I was in a healthier shape, I could have probably persuaded and prepared the entire team to face the Jury. However, I was extremely satisfied with the contribution and dedication of all members of our team. The Hazelwick members prepared for the Jury by themselves without any help from either me or Damian as both of us were busy trying to complete the work. Our team was one of the best performers of the day. All’s well that ends well!

bridge1

An artist’s impression of the bridge in its tentative geo-location (Illustration by Smita)

Conclusion- The Final Take-away:

• As a team in-charge is important to establish a good rapport with all the members and make them feel important. This helps in their confidence building and results in maximum work output.
  • It is important to assess the strengths of the team members and distribute the tasks so that each team member enjoys the tasks, feels involved and has the opportunity to express himself/herself and contribute his/her skills to the project.
  • There are times when thing do not happen the way we conceive. It is vital to be calm and patient especially during such times as this will pass too!
  • Given more time, most of us claim to come up with better design solutions. What we accomplish within a finite timeframe, under pressure, defines our ability. The solution we present must fulfil all the required conditions of the design brief. Pressure situations are common in the real world and this group project is a learning for life!
  • Communication, presentation and public speaking skills are vital for success in any profession. Due importance should be given to communicate and present the work to the audience. Research of the composition of the audience, their background and interests would help in selecting the appropriate focus areas in communication and presentation, and also in anticipating questions that may come up and being prepared for answering the same.